For families and children
We welcome and include families of all types! Families and children are invited to participate actively in worship, learning, programming, and events. Tips for worshipping with children:
- Find a good spot: Sit where you and your children are most comfortable. Our chapel, for example, has benches along the sides of the room on which children can spread out.
- Sing, pray, and participate: Children will learn how to participate at Shabbat services by following along and noticing what others around them do.
- Teach: Help your children follow along in the siddur (prayerbook) and explain parts they may not understand.
- Take breaks: Sometimes, children need a break from the service. It's fine to get up and take your child out of the worship space at any time. The Greenwood Lobby, the youth lounge, and the playground are good places to go. Please keep in mind open doors and how sound carries when you choose to step out.
- Introduce yourself: Clergy, staff, and board members with nametags are happy to meet you and speak with you and your children. Someone can give you a tour of our historic sanctuary, too!
Family and children's programs:
- Weekly family Shabbat services during the school year
- High Holy Day family services and childcare
- Family retreat at OSRUI (January 25-27, 2019)
- Tot Shabbat programs
- Parent and family programming and discussions during Shoresh sessions on Friday afternoons
Other open events:
In addition to programs designed for families with children, we also host open events that families would enjoy, including:
- Monthly congregational dinners
- Sukkot sing-along
- Simchat Torah celebration
- Chanukah extravaganza
- Purim celebration and spiel